Tuesday, June 9, 2009

"Beet it, Spinach!" Salad

Another thing I had never bought (or cooked) before was beets. I think I have actually only eaten beets once, but I was pretty sure I liked them, and it sounded like a fun food adventure. I decided I would add them to a salad, and this is one of the concoctions I came up with.

"Beet it, Spinach!" Salad

1 small beet (*this would be for the serving size of the salad, but you can certainly cook more than this)
1 cup of baby spinach
1 tablespoon of blue cheese crumbles
1/4 of a hass avocado
1 1/2 tablespoons of some fruity vinaigrette, I prefer Trader Joe's cranberry walnut gorgonzola!
Cooking Beets
I had to try something new to do this, and that was cooking beets! I looked up recipes online, and combined a few of the cooking recommendations.
*Wash the beets thoroughly, and remove their greens.
*Rub your beets with olive oil, then sprinkle with lemon pepper.
*Wrap them up in aluminum foil and place them in a 375 oven for 45 minutes (* i used my toaster oven!)
*Once they are done, remove them but leave them in the foil to cool. Allow them to cool completely, then remove the skins (they should peel off) under water so your fingers aren't... well, neon.
*Slice them up and put them in tupperware and in the fridge! They will last about 5 days in the fridge this way.
Assembling Your Salad

*Put your spinach in your bowl first! That usually helps.
*Add all of your other ingredients, I usually add cheese last. Then top it off with your dressing, and viola!
*Note that salads are not difficult to assemble, and that is why you should eat lots of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment