Monday, June 8, 2009

"Oh Hey, It's Summer!" Pizza

I went to a farmer's market on Saturday with my dear friend Bemis. I bought a lot of delicious things, but the most unusual thing I bought that I had never bought before was baby zucchini with the squash blossom still attached. When I was in Rome, I ate a pizza with squash blossoms, and it was very good. So, I tried to make something that paid a little homage to that... but better.

"Oh Hey, It's Summer!" Pizza
1 package of whole wheat pizza dough (*you could make your own, but I'm... lazy)
1/4 cup pizza sauce
5 very small or 2 normal sized cloves of garlic
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/8 cup crumbled goat cheese
5 baby zucchinis, with squash blossoms attached (if you can't get them this way, go ahead and get the blossoms separately)
1/3 cup roughly chopped crimini mushrooms
olive oil spray






**Make sure you preheat your oven to your dough's package directions, or your recipes!**
Prepping the toppings:
*Remove the blossoms from the zucchinis, and their insides by tearing down the side, and the middle out. Wash them, and leave them between some paper towels to dry.
*Chop or press the garlic cloves; set aside.
*Slice the zucchinis length-wise as thin as you can. This would be an excellent application for a mandolin slicer!
*Chop the mushrooms (if they're not already done for you).
Starting the construction:
*Once your dough is ready to be rolled out, do so, and place it on your pizza pan or stone.
*Put your sauce in the center of the pizza (Note: you may adjust the amount of sauce to your liking, but I don't recommend a lot of sauce for this pizza!). Add the garlic, and spread the sauce around.

*Add your cheese now, starting with the mozzarella, then the goat cheese.


*Now add your toppings! I started with the zucchini, then moved on to the blossoms, then mushrooms.
*Spray the top with some olive oil spray, if you have some.
Cooking your masterpiece:
*Pop your pizza into your oven (you remembered to preheat, right?) and wait. Should be about 9 minutes if you're using the packaged, ready made dough.
*Let it cool, then enjoy!

1 comment: